Saturday 24 January 2015

I choked back the tears....

Wow, it has been too long. I have been meaning to write a post for a while now, but have just been too busy. Or lazy. Or tired. Or all of the above.
But today I have some exciting news today. But first I will fill you in on my life--

Well, I am in my last semester of nursing. But here are a few questions that I get from people these days:

Popular Question 1: "Are you excited about almost being done?"
Answer: "Actually its more terrifying that exciting. All within the next 6 months I first have to finish all of my courses, but not only finish my courses, but pass them. Then I have to graduate, walk across the stage. In between all of that I have to apply for my big final exam called hte NCLEX.

Popular Question 2: "What are you going to after you graduate?"
Answer: "Well isn't that a great question, I wish I knew...I have no idea." (If you ask me this question I will make up some answer of what I might like to do, in an ideal world of no MS and full knowledge that I will pass my big exam)

Popular Question 3: "Where are you planning on living? In Prince George?"
Answer: Again, in an ideal world. I would find someone to travel to obscure place in Canada for a year and just have an adventure. Like Nunavut, Yukon, far corner of BC. Gimme something, somewhere and preferably someone and I'm there! But again, not an idea world. I don't know. Preferably NOT Prince George. But who knows. Not I

Well... Like I said earlier. I have news. Great news. 
Today I ran around, completely out of breath, I got sweaty, kept running around, got more sweaty and then I lost my vision. But that all happened while I played a game of soccer, indoors, on a team!!

I played an organized game of soccer and it was awesome! 

I loved every minute of it. Granted I couldn't see during every minute of it. But I loved it. Three years ago, almost to the week I developed my first symptom of MS and soon after I started to loose my vision. But today was so fun, it has been the first time I've played on a team since my MS diagnosis.

This might not be big news for you, but for me this is huge! I sat down on the bench when my vision was at like 50% and did my best to not burst into tears. Tears of happiness.

So today I had a glimpse of what I forgot I loved. Sports. And being able to play them. It was frustrating when I couldn't see the ball or my teammates. But I played. For short bursts of time.
But I played. And that is the exciting news.



              This is my team: Code Orange Avengers. We are all nursing students. Its a blast! 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Kate... Don't let anything keep you from what you love!

    Psalm 20
    1May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
    2May he send you help from the sanctuary
    and grant you support from Zion.
    3May he remember all your sacrifices
    and accept your burnt offerings.b
    4May he give you the desire of your heart
    and make all your plans succeed.
    5May we shout for joy over your victory
    and lift up our banners in the name of our God.
    May the Lord grant all your requests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great Kate! Super happy for you, I think I understand what this means to you. I miss hanging out with you crazies... Praying for the best for you.

    ReplyDelete