Sunday 11 May 2014

"Are You Happy?"

"Are you the happiest you've ever been?"
That was one of the questions my friend asked me yesterday. It took me a second to think about it, I thought about the past few days, months, year. Everything that had happened to me in the past year or so...
[ms.boyfriend.ms.shcool.friends.living in prince george. ms.life.clinical.exams.ms.practicums .camp.summer.friends.university.exams.summer.family.ms.moving] 
These things flashed through my head as it did that I asked the question again out loud, 

"I am the happiest I've ever been?" 

I then thought about the past week/weekend, it continues to put a smile on my face, almost makes me cry, but mostly smile. I spent the past two weeks complied classes and exams. I have moved into my new house for hte next year which is with my best friend and her brother in a basement suite. 
But the best of all since school was this past week. I spent it and will continue to spend it in Quesnel until the beginning of June. 

I don't think I could have picked a better practicum spot that Quesnel-PAR. I am in the post anesthetic recovery ward. So when patients come out of surgery they come to us and we take vitals and give pain medications, and make sure they are ok and stable. I also had the opportunity to spend some time in the operating rooms. It was so cool and so great! The staff are fantastic--some of the best I've had to work with so far in my degree. Very willing to help, teach and assist me in learning. I don't know at this point if this is where I want to be. But I do love it. 

It is a really great feeling when I feel so affirmed in choosing a career such as nursing. Helping patients feel comfortable, holding their hand before surgery, laughing with (or at) them, cleaning them up. I love it. I was talking about my practicum yesterday and as I started I could feel my excitement increasing and my facial expressions changing. I had to tell myself to calm down a bit and I don't need to get that excited about watching a 'skin graft or mole removal or hammer toe fixed.' 

Oh, I did answer my friends question when he asked and my answer still makes me think to make sure I was being completely honest...
Yes...yes I am genuinely happy.
This very well could be the happiest I've been in a long time.

At this point I have so many great things to look forward to in the next year. Finishing my practicum, going to the UK for a few weeks this summer. Going back out to camp. Living with good friends. Going into my final year at uni. I'll be graduated by this time next year. I wouldn't say I am thinking there won't be any challenges next year or in the coming days/months.
But I am ready to take it one day at a time and face those challenges more ready than I would have ever been if I had not gone through these past 2 crazy years!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment