Wednesday 15 May 2013

Why Now?

Hey!

So I hope this whole shi-bang didn't come too much out of the blue today... But I felt like many people have been finding out lately (or at least that is what I've heard) and I don't blame you for not saying anything... (not too much anyways.)

I honestly probably wouldn't know what to do if I found out that someone I knew was sick too.

So yes, I had about 8 months of symptoms and little things to point me in the direction of MS but when the official diagnosis came it was a bit of a shocker. It took me a while to figure out how I could manage school, life and MS all together. I also didn't know how to tell the 'world' about it all.

I am still me: I can function as I did before -- just differently. I go to bed earlier than I used to because I am exhausted most days. School: well, it may be a little harder to do as well as I'm used to doing. Sports:  I have tried a few different things to help keep my body temperature cool enough to be able to see a volleyball, basketball or birdie. (Oh, it is an interesting time trying to play those sports these days!) I have come to like swimming because it keeps me cool enough to still be able to see.

I also won't lie to you. This has been the absolute hardest year of my life (yes I know, I'm only 21). But I have been so blessed to have a great life none the less! This year is just the most challenging so far...however I have learned so much. I don't have many reasons for why I tried to keep this news from 'you' and really I don't think I need any. I just didn't know what to say.

But now I am ready.

I want my story to be encouraging and possibly help someone else down the line one day.

What is great about telling you all now is that when I do talk about it, I don't burst into tears or something like that, which then makes it even more awkward for everyone, right? I really don't mind talking about my story at all, so please feel free to ask me if you have question! I would talk about Multiple Sclerosis all day long if I could. It's when I start talking about it that I get lost, and it doesn't feel like I am talking about myself but just talking about the disease.

Here is my story. Here is my new life, here is a different Kate Goertzen, one you may not have known during high school.

Have a great afternoon,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment